Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Holiday Rhetoric- Family

 
 I chose a picture of my family because when I hear the word family they are the first thing that comes to mind . During the holidays we will get together with our extended family who we only see a couple of times a year. As you can tell we arent really close to them. I dont really see anybody outside of the people in my picture as my family because my mother, father, and sister are the only ones that are involved in my daily life, and they take care of me. Since I dont really speak to the rest of my family I wonder where I'd be without my parents. I also think about the kids who are cared for by their extended family rather than their parents and I dont feel that it's society's place to say that they arent a family.
 
 Before choosing a picture of my own, I spent a short amount of time searching for a good picture to use. I typed the word family into google images and all of my options were the same. There were the stereotypical white and black families There were no interracial family images, or anything involving two gay parents and their children. I thik that shows that people look at a family as something specific. I feel that some people look at certain types of families as wrong because thet break social norms. I dont feel that it should be the place of society to define a family. I think that a family should be defined as a group of people who are close,love eachother unconditonally and take care of each other no matter the circumstances.
 

1 comment:

  1. Breanna, I agree with you that when you google images you just find steriotypical families rather than what families are really like today. Whether people agree with the way families are today or not, families around the world are changing. I don't think that society should really be able to define what a family is because everybody has their own opinions of what a family would do for themselves and for other people.

    Also, I really like the fact that you chose to use a picture of your own family rather than finding one on the internet. I can see how close your family is by the picture, and by using your own picture in my opinion is saying how much your family really does mean to you. Using your own picture really helps me understand what the meaning of family is to you, and I would rather see people talking about how much their family means to them rather than seeing them talk about just what family means in general.

    Makayla
    word count: 171

    ReplyDelete