Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Juxtaposition Post 2


I think that what Dr.Tae says applies to me.  With every paper that I write, the paper goes through a series of revisions to make my end paper better than the first.  Most people learn something by completing repetitions, not just doing it once and boom you’re perfect at it.  Throughout this semester, I have learned a lot as a writer.  I have learned that I should keep submitting revisions and going to the writer’s room until I reach my intended grade.  I have learned that every time I fail, I am one step closer to succeeding.  Dr. Tae goes through the same process with skateboarding.  He states that it took him a couple of years until he could finally master the kick flip.  He also said that if he would have quit after one or two months he would have never been able to do it.  It is that exact process that makes people better at the things they do.

Dr. Tae has a broad audience he is talking to.  I think he is talking to mainly students, but anybody who is trying to do something and they don’t quite get it.  Dr. Tae is telling these people to hang in there and you will eventually get it. In Dr. Tae’s video he compares a student/skateboarder, and the real world/academic world.   The way Dr. Tae uses juxtaposition is that he compares two similar things that people do, and the different effects of both.  Dr. Tae states that you shouldn’t grade a skateboarder if he fails the trick, because it doesn’t teach him to do better, he already knows what he did wrong, he just needs to correct it.  The same thing applies to a student in school.  Why should you grade a student on homework when homework might be their way of trying to understand the concept.  A teacher shouldn’t go ahead and give the student an F, but rather, the teacher should help the student figure the concept out.

No comments:

Post a Comment