Wednesday, November 7, 2012

Woman in the White House

For this week’s blog we had to listen to a song called “Woman in the White House,” by Sheryl Crow. It wasn’t really a song that I ever would’ve listened to on my own, but I do have to say that I had a certain ring to it that stuck in my head. She’s stating in the song that it’s time to get a woman into the white house. The woman that she betrays in the song though really shows a stereotypical version of a girl that should be representing our country. The picture by far is one of the worst images for this idea. All you see are a girl’s legs clear up to her thigh. She’s wear some huge high heels that any normal girl would break her ankle in. It’s not a very professional picture by any means. It’s stats something dirty and it’s very demeaning to the girls that do take pride in themselves and really respect themselves.  
I believe that the cover will sell her song very well. Whether or not we want to admit it, sex sells. It’s something that catches your eye and pulls everyone in. So for this reason the cover was a very good chose. If she really wants to get a woman to be president I don’t believe she did a very good job of this at all. The male audience is just going to joke about the song, because all that she really manages to do is down grade women. One way that she does this is calling us “girls” in the song. Basically looking down on us and not accepting the fact that it could really one day happen. The lyrics to her song are really not persuading anyone to elect a woman one day. I feel that this song is more as a joke and she is pointing and laughing at us all saying that it would really be absurd if any woman was to ever get in.

Word count- 332

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, I couldn't agree with your post more in the aspect of sex sells. If this song really was meaningful why would she downgrade it. I think the cover could have been a lot more classy, like the white house itself and could still sell. I also agree with the downgrade of women. We all know that women have flaws to, and I think her song is very unrealistic. She almost states that women are perfect, and although some of us would like to think so this isn't true. I think that this song was souly made just to sell. The idea she uses, being a topic that comes up a lot helped her out too. I think that for this song to be somewhat useful in saying women should run the country, she needed to be a lot more realistic with her ideas. Overall, I think she does what every pop star does, sells her music to make her living.

    Karah
    Word count 161

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree that this is a song I could not find myself listening to. I'm the kind of person that would hear it on the radio and immediately change it. I don't know you come off as a kind of person that would like this song :P I believe that the woman that she is portraying in the song and on the cover is not the kind we need to be running our country. Those heels do look like she is a bout to break her ankles, did no one tell the poor woman pumps are more comfortable? I agree that the cover will sell this song due to men that are pigs :) But lets get real what male wouldn't look at this and be interested? But also the men will take this song as a joke because of the words which I agree, some of it is ridiculous. But its whatever I think that a woman would be great in the white house :)

    ReplyDelete