Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Juxathingamajig 2


Dr. Tae did a very good job with his presentation. The audience that would most likely view his presentation would be college level students and it seems that his presentation was tailored to that. The fact that he compared learning in a class to learning on a skateboard also helped his presentation because even if you don’t skateboard, it is easy to understand what he is saying. It becomes a much more interesting presentation by making use of activities relevant to the age group he is trying to appeal to. Dr. Tae also makes use of good visual aids that are both entertaining and informative. This also helps further his points. The real world and academic world comparison he makes also appeals to his audience. To most students, they see either the real world or the world of school. They do not view them as the same, and this is because they are not. In the real world the only thing you get graded on is the health inspections at restaurants. He helps students understand that learning should occur beyond the academic world.

I believe Dr. Tae does a good job using juxtaposition to help prove his point. Learning to me is very much what Tae mentioned in that most of what I have learned has actually been from outside the school and the whole purpose of learning it was the end result. To me there is no difference between the real world and the academic world for I view them as the same. For most of the current classes I am taking, I already know the material we are going over with the exception of this class and my logic class. If I have ever wanted to learn something about science I would go online or to a library to learn it. The same goes for me as a writer. If I don’t know what part of my paper needs to be improved I don’t stare at it until I know how to do it, I either ask someone or I try to do it repeatedly until I am satisfied with the result. It should be that way for all learning. The teacher’s main purpose is to provide real-time feedback as to what you are doing wrong. 

-Codie Rome 378

1 comment:

  1. Dr. Tae did a very good job connecting with his audience throughout the whole presentation. Like you said, even if you do not skateboard, it is extremely easy to relate with what he is saying. He does a wonderful job at making sure that he relates to his audience in an everyday manner that we go through. To me, there is no difference in my view between the academic and the real world either. Learning from mistakes usually goes about in the same manner; you learn from them and then you try to not repeat them. This definitely applies for me in school, and any other real world situation. If I am faced with a mistake, I do not just sit there and accept the fact that I screwed up. I sit and think what I could do next time to hopefully improve or to not make the same mistake again.
    Brooke Kinney (154)

    ReplyDelete