Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Juxtaposition Post 2

In Dr. Tae's presentation "Can Skateboarding Save Our Schools?" he really does a great job at comparing school and skateboarding. You can really tell that he thought out all of his points and examples throughout the whole presentation which made it very clear to understand. I believe that many of his examples are exactly the same as writers go through. While skateboarding, its not just something you pick up and can accomplish in an hour, it takes work. Becoming a good writer takes a lot of time and effort, just like skateboarding. Writers and skate boarders will try and try to perfect their work, before it actually is perfected. Just like in our rhet class, it takes us a few times working on the same paper to make it perfect. Just like trying to get down a skateboard move, us working on the same paper over and over will result in a good way. If you keep working on something, you will get the results that you wish for.

I believe that Dr. Tae's target audience is really young adults, teachers, and also parents. I think hes trying to target them all because they really are all effected by what is being said. I agree with Tae's statement that grading is being misused. I believe that your work shouldn't be presented with some stupid letter grade. In High school I had pretty good grades, but if I were to ever get a D or an F I was in trouble. Having a D or an F means trouble for a lot of people. Even here in college these grades mean that you aren't doing so well. I think that its okay that these grades make us aware that we need to step up our game but I also see it as just making us feel bad. I believe that these grades just point out the obvious. I see that learning common sense and the things that we learn in a class room are completely different. How much of the things we learn in a class room do we actually obtain and use in our everyday lives? I think common sense is learned by experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment