Wednesday, November 28, 2012

                             Home


  1. Images are from Google Images.


     I chose the word home for the holiday rhetoric assignment because home to me is somewhere I can always go and feel welcomed. As for the holiday season, it is a place for gathering of all of our family members especially for those relatives that you only see during Christmas time.   Some ideals of home would be comfort, love, and sharing.  Personal experiences for me has been pretty close to those ideals but there are people out there who hasn’t been as lucky to have family provide that for them. They may see only sadness and sorrow. The only repercussion I can see that would happen would be that families fight with each other and make the whole experience uncomfortable for everyone there.  I would have to challenge everyone try and get along with everyone while they are with you since they only are around for a short time. 

   
    As for Arola’s thought on what is a family and what isn’t. My opinion on that is what ever you believe is your family or whoever is a major part of your life should be considered family.  There shouldn’t be a set criteria on what a family is but should be based on who is always there for you and will do whatever to help you should be called family.  In Arola’s video she discussed the dynamic and make-up of family. Most families have the grown ups, they are the parents regardless of whatever the dynamic might be. Does it really matter if you have two dad’s or two mom’s? Some families might even be a single parent with one or more children home with them. Families might even just be the two adults and a dog or two. The family is who in your life is their for you no matter what the situation.

3 comments:

  1. Home is always where you feel welcome at. During the holidays is when home really feels welcome because of all the family that is coming around and the things going on around holiday season. People are generally nicer to others during holidays but some people are aggressive and stressed out about the holiday season because of all the money people put into holidays for gifts, dinners, etc. It would be a very unfortunate thing to not have a home or a family to make all these things a reality and make the holidays more inviting. I do agree with you that sometimes families coming together can be awkward because people argue and do not always want to be around each other but a lot of people feel obligated to during the holidays. I also believe family is just who means a lot to you in your life. It does not necessarily have to be what the traditional family is made out to be. (163 words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. “Home is where the heart is, so you’re real home is in your chest.” This quote by Captain Hammer from the movie Dr. Horrible’s Sing-Along Blog is immediately what I thought of when I first saw your post. I might argue that home is a state of mind rather than a place. Home is where you are safe and comfortable being yourself. That could be a place, or, to quote Christina Perri, “You put your arms around me and I’m home.” I would agree with you, Dalton, when you say that home is related with the words: comfort, family, love, and sharing. I agree with Kylan as well when he said that families can make one feel welcomed especially around the holidays. In my opinion, home is not a place where one feels awkward. I can understand how family members can make things awkward in one’s house, but home is a place where all negative feelings are discarded. Overall, I think you had a good post Dalton.

    Word count: 167

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the message you picked out is a good example for the holidays. I always hear the quotes "Home Sweet Home," and "Home is where the heart is," all the time during the holidays. The quotes definately have a lot of meaning to them. Most of us can feel comfortable in our own homes. I can relate to you on the aspect of living with a family that is tolerable, most of the time, but some people aren't lucky enough to have that sort of stability in their home. I have some friends that are sadly in that type of situation, which can give the term "home" a whole different meaning. Another thing I agreed with was your view on Arola's definition on the term "family". I don't think it always have to mean our immediate family. For all we know, they can be total jerks but yet we can have friends that care about us more, which is what the term family should mean.

    Emily Shouse
    (166 words).

    ReplyDelete