Wednesday, November 14, 2012

Juxtaposition Post 2


The age old method of trial an error is a very effective method of learning anything. No one is perfect the first time doing anything. The intended audience for the video is anyone who wants to get good at something. I know when I fail at something the first time, my confidence drops, but I have to keep going and after a while, I get better and better at it because I am fixing everything that I am doing wrong. The speaker used juxtaposition of skateboarding to a student because when you learn a new trick, you have to practice in order to know how to do it, same way with school, if you take the time to practice what you are doing wrong or studying, you will eventually learn what you want to learn and master it, just like a skateboarding trick.
With talent comes practice. The speaker in the YouTube video talks about how he had to do the 360 kick-flip about 53 times in order to finally learn the trick he wanted to master.  Before I began this Rhetoric class, I felt like a lost dog in a big city when it came to writing anything. After weeks and weeks of being in this class, I finally understood how to get a good “grade” on my papers, try to fix my mistakes. Before, I always believed that your first draft can be the best, what I came to find out, that’s not necessarily true. For example: my first draft for my writing about literature paper was absolutely terrible. It made no sense, what so ever. After weeks of revising it, I still was not getting any better. Just a week ago, I sat down, redid the entire paper, and now reading it, I am so proud of what I have accomplished. Practicing writing will only improve a writer. Practice makes perfect.


Priyanka Bhakta
Word Count: 314

3 comments:

  1. After reading this post, I agreed with what you have said in response to Dr. Tae's video on skateboarding. His demonstration really shows that in order to succeed, you have to be determined. One of your statements that I agreed with the most was the example you used about the Rhetoric class in relationship between skateboarding and school. I was having the same troubles on trying to get my essay's up to an S or S+, and it took me multiple times to finally be satisfied with my grade. That was similar to Dr. Tae's video because in the video it shows him trying to nail this particular trick, and when he finally nailed it we soon come to realize that it took him over 30 attempts to succeed. This comes to show that practice does make perfect, and even though we might not have a lot of opportunities in school to get the grade we want, we can still study the material and get the grade we deserve.

    Emily Shouse
    (168 words).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Priyanka, how's it going? I completely agree with you about trial and error. It is pretty much the only way you can get good at something; yes, it might frustrate me at the beginning, but in the end I know I will be satisfied. I'm the same way when I fail at something. My confidence drops, and I just don't want to continue on. As for me as a writer, and how I relate to the whole trial and error method, well, it's coming along. It seems like I am only making baby steps in my process as a writer. I have taken all of my papers to the writers room, and its like the help i am receiving isn't paying off. I guess have to keep on submitting and trying to make my papers better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Trial and error is a good way of learning new things. I agree with what you say about how doing something over and over and failing but then eventually learning how to do it is effective. He practiced that trick much more than 53 times, it took him years of trying to finally get it. He just never gave up on the trick and eventually he landed. The 53 times was in reference to the combination of tricks he tried in a particular clip that took him many times before he finally landed it. I was the same as you when entering this English class. I was overwhelmed at the requirements for the class and was starting to think I couldn’t do it. My initial drafts of my papers were not the best but over time I have gotten better at revisions and overall my writing skills have gotten better, but only after failing a few times before I finally started to get it.(164 words)

    ReplyDelete