Wednesday, November 7, 2012

"Woman in the White House"

In Sheryl Crow’s song, “Woman in the White House,” she states her opinion very freely on a woman being the president of the United States.  She uses many different tactics in doing this. The album cover for the song is pretty vulgar for a woman wanting to be president. The album cover is a woman with long legs standing over the White House.  By doing this, she is definitely using women’s sex appeal to get other people’s attention.  The song also has quite a catchy appeal to it with the use of the musical instruments in the background. The banjo being played is basically what stuck through my head for a long period of time after only listening to the song only once and this is exactly what they were trying to do in this particular song.

In this song, she is also very particular with her word choice throughout the whole song. From listening to this song, I did not really get the message to why woman need or even should be president. The message seemed to bash the past presidents that we have had because all they want to do is fight and cause drama, spending money that we did not seem to have and still do not have, and etc. She states that women can balance a checkbook, not have drama and attitude, and can even get along well with others. This to me is the complete opposite of what women actually do. Most women love to spend all the money that they can, especially when it is not their money, they usually always tend to have some type of drama, and definitely do not tend to get well with others, especially other women. I think that this song is completely opposite of what we need, not because she is a woman, but because her opinion she has on it. It would be great to have a woman president just to say we have and because I am a woman, but if this song had a different message to it, then maybe people would actually consider having a woman as our president.

Brooke Kinney (358)

1 comment:

  1. This song Sheryl Crow has sung is very annoying. I agree with you she states her opinion of a woman being the President. In my opinion this song is going to make her lose some fans. I definitely think she is using sex appeal to get everyone attention with her long legs standing over the white house. I find this to be very unprofessional. I understand sex sells, but the image she is giving woman is not the way I want people to look at me. I find this song to be very disturbing and sexist. I honestly think the tune of the song sounds like it’s from the 50’s. I think she wanted to change the tone to catch more people’s attention. I agree with you with her word choice for the lyrics. I feel like she is disrespecting our previous presidents. She acts like if woman were president we would budget the money a lot better than the men who have been president. I don’t necessarily think that’s true. I just honestly don’t think a woman is strong enough to handle a job of being president. I think woman are too opinionated, emotional, and etcetera to be able to handle all the complicated things to become president
    (212)
    Megan H

    ReplyDelete