Wednesday, November 14, 2012

  The video with the skateboading/instructor, Dr. Tae he was very direct at getting his point across. Using this type of teaching is beneficial because it is direct in your face kind of learning. The teaching is direct, he uses the skateboard as a prop. Using props in a class can be sure to hold a groups attention. People often learn by the hands on approach. When he used the skateboard, it was as if he was using the direct approach or the hands on approach. The principles that he discussed, such as failure is normal. He discussed how it took several tries to get something right. As a writer I feel it often takes me many tries to get my articles correct. Also, I agree with his comment that nobody knows how long it takes to learn. Finding the right teacher, right class, and the right way to learn may be the way that someone can learn in the future. If the student struggles one way, they should try another. The student shold always  be self organized, commited and ready to learn.

     To be a better writer, I feel that I have to learn to ask for help if I need it. Dr. Tae said that sometime you may have to tey repeatedly. Dr. Tae, in his video also discusses that learning is not fun and you should always find something to challenge you that is just above your level. I feel that he is trying to talk to the students to challenge them to be better at what they need to do. The intended audience was both, the students that was in the classroom, as well as the skateboarders attempting the tricks. In futher his message he used video, as well as the written word on the black screens. In the real world, would a teacher really use that type of prompts to get  his message across? The academic world would be more worried about grades and assignments completion.

word count:335

3 comments:

  1. Dalton, I really like how you talk about how Dr. Tae's method of teaching was effective. I feel like I learn best when there are lectures like Dr. Tae used in his video. I don't understand how people can take online classes and get the same amount of learning as an in class student.

    I really like how you discuss how people don't know how long it takes to learn and all of the factors that can influence that. It really does take many different aspects to determine how long it takes to learn something. When you talk about how students should try different was to learn if they are struggling, I agree with that too. Sometimes students need to try different ways of learning and studying to find the one that fits them best.

    I, too feel like I should ask for help if I need it, especially in writing because I would say it is my worst subject. Finally, I really like when you say that Dr. Tae was trying to tell students to be better than the need to. Everyone can meet the guidelines to pass a class or to be successful, but those who take it to the next level are the ones who will see the most success.

    David Sacre
    (213 words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. For your blog I thought you made some very good points. When you said using props can help us learn; I thought that was a very good point that I did not think of. When I thought about writing the post I did not put much thought into the actual skateboard and I am glad that you did. Also, I agree with you that no one knows how long it will take someone to learn something and that it all depends on whom is teaching them and if they are taught in the correct way that will help them learn something easier. Another good point you made is that if a person is struggling they should try different ways until they find something that works for them. I also learned that it helps my writing to go to someone and ask them for help. I agree with you that the academic system is more worried about grades and getting assignments done rather than having the students feel good for getting the assignment done. Overall, your post had good points.
    -Megan Grimes (179)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I agree with you, I think most teachers get a little lazy and careless when it comes to making sure that the students know the information being taught or no. They're not making sure that the kids really know it. Most arent very interactive in class either. Each student learns a different way and most teachers only teach in one way. It's a proven fact that most people learn things when it comes to being hands on. Versus just sitting there staring into space because they cant handle another word being said. They lose interest fast and thats not fair to the student. Kids need a teacher thats going to keep their attention,the type of teacher that really cares if they learn the information or not and wants them to do well. Students start to get lazy with their education because theyre not taught that it takes practice. Just like anything else does.

    ReplyDelete