Wednesday, November 28, 2012

Holiday Rhetoric

             The holidays are just around the corner, which can only mean one thing; everyone reuniting with their loved ones, especially their family. In Arola's essay, she discusses about the term "family", and how it does not always mean the stereotypical mom, dad, and kids. There is a lot more elaboration to the word and meaning. I'm the same way as Arola whenever I hear the word family. Family is not only consisted of mom, dad, kids, and pets. It has a lot more definition and meaning to it. Whenever I hear the word family, I don't only think about my mom, dad, brothers, and pets, but I also think about my closest friends; the ones that were always there for me through thick and thin. I count them as family just as much as I do with my immediate family, even if it breaks the social stereotype of what most of our society thinks of what a family really is.
             There are a ton of TV show's out there that show us the stereotypical family on the holiday's, but there isn't a lot of TV show's that show us the other side of what a family really means. The two pictures I chose are from TV show's that are an example of the other meaning to family. They show us that our loved ones don't always have to come from our immediate family. You can have an immediate family that hate your guts, but still have close friends that show unconditional love towards you and you consider them family. Overall, I think the definition of family is a group of people who care and love for each other and they would be willing to help them out in any situation given to them. Spending the holidays with your family is a positive experience, no matter who you classify your family as.

Emily Shouse
(312 words).

1 comment:

  1. I think your blog is very well stated and your pictures are quite comical. When it comes to the meaning "family," I could not agree with you more. Family to me means any loved ones around you, no matter if it is a person, animal, or whatever. Like you said, you count your closest friends as family also, and I do as well. I think as long as there is love around, it does not matter how you define family. I think even though you are around ones who do not tend to get along at times, even if it is your family, they are there for a reason. No matter what that specific reason is, they are still there and it evidently must mean because they care about you. I think that is all what family essentially means, being around ones who show love and actually care for you.
    Brooke Kinney (153)

    ReplyDelete