Wednesday, September 12, 2012

Obama Email

Barack Obama sending such a personal email to someone that he does not even know, makes no sense to me. When I read this Email, it seems beyond fake to me. This email suggests that the president of the united states is a very close friend to Marla. He does not formally introduce himself, and he addresses Marla Jarmer informally as well. He actually starts the email with "Freind--". This implies to me that he has talked to her in recent years. In the email Obama is asking for you to donate 3 dollars. But what exactly is this money going to? The email never states as to what they need this money for. I would hope the money would be going towards a charity or some sort of organization. But really who knows, it could be going to straight into someones pocket for all we know. This email is very short and to the point, with not a lot of details. Really this email states who the email is to and from and they are wanting donations. There is also a link that you can click on to donate the money to. It also tells you that if you are going to make  a donation it needs to be done tonight. This is all that this email implies, nothing more, nothing less.
I think its funny how Obama is calling Ms. Jarmer a "friend" when they have never even met. I would understand a little more if they had actually even shared two words. I believe that Obama acting like he knows the audience might be his way to reach out and try to get people to ease into giving the money or even helping with his campaign. Honestly why are they wanting 3 dollars from people? What  is 3 dollars actually going to even buy? And to pay online means to use your credit card, this very may possibly be a very big scam. If i were to receive this email, I would have completely ignored it. There is no way you can just trust anything and everything sent to you on the internet. I highly doubt I would have even opened this email, I probably would have just deleted it. That tells you right there that you know when you're about to be scammed. If this email has any sense of realism they did a very poor job as making it come off that way.

2 comments:

  1. Emms, we have the same mind set on this Email. I do believe that it was very fake and a very large scam. Someone obviously needed the money very badly at the time of writing that Email. If in fact it was a real Email from the president then he did a very pore job at writing this out. I would hope that someone that high above me would address me in a more formal way. I would've taken that Email as a form of disrespect. He needed to address what the paper was for and he needed to state that it was really him and prove that the money would be going where it was meant to. I also agree with you that you can't ever trust everything on the computer. Especially when it comes down to money. The internet can be a very sketchy place! You don't want to get into anything that could get you into any trouble, this is including your money. Over all I feel that this Email was a fail. I don't that that the person that sent this out accomplished what they had planned to do at all. They just need to find a new job!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Emily! I can see why the way the email is worded would weird you out. A lot of people would feel same way. However, a lot of other people would have a more positive opinion, surprisingly enough. Personally, this approach wouldn’t affect me one way or the other. That is just because I recognize it for what is: it is simply a type of persuasion. I can’t remember exactly what the method is called (though I am pretty sure it has a name), but the gist of it is that Obama is trying to relate to his readers, in order to make them feel more important, and thus be more willing to donate. Contrary to what you may think, this is actually very affective; thus, many politicians use it. This, I guess, is basically what you said yourself toward the end of your blog post.

    As for the money issue, I was thinking the same thing myself. Why would he be asking for three dollars? Now, I am taking American Government. This morning we had a class; it taught me something very interesting. The teacher discussed how presidential candidates raise money for funds. He mentioned that they can get specific amounts from personal donations. I am guessing the reason the specific price is given is that Obama is trying to reach a certain amount of funds. Perhaps the three minimum is created based on a mathematical analysis of his budget.

    In my blog post in response to the email, my biggest problem with it was the way it was formatted and worded. Basically, it was short, abrupt, and sounded kind of weird. When I read that, I was already leaning toward the side of not donating (rhetorically, obviously I am not the one being asked to donate). It was simply because of the way the author said it. I really don’t mind that Obama probably didn’t write it; because that would be expected, it doesn’t really bother me. What does bother me is the lack of quality of the email.

    That’s all I really have. Now, I just wonder if Ms. Jarmer actually donated or not. Or did she already say that? Anyway, you made a great blog post. It was much easier to answer to than some of the other ones I read. Oh, and if you actually read this whole thing, I really must congratulate you. I wrote the thing, and I still wouldn’t have read the whole thing!
    Sincerely,
    Drew Corbin

    Word count: 415

    ReplyDelete