Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rhetorical Situations

     Starting out my first paper for this class was a little nerve racking to say the least. The thought of being dropped to a lower class intimidated me, but also inspired me to work harder. I wanted to show Ms. Jarmer that I had what it took to be successful in this class. So, I began by reading the article, “TV’s Negative Influence on Kids Reaffirmed” by Jeffery M. McCall, that was given to us. I had to read the paper 3 or 4 times before I understood what it was actually about. Even when I grasped McCall's concept and understood what side he was on I wasn't quit able to pick out the thesis. It was really kind of shaky to me. In my past classes I never had to find the thesis and point it out in my paper, which was something very new to me. Now I am more aware of what to look for and that will help me for any future projects that lie ahead.
     After Reading the paper and figuring out the side I wanted to take, it was time to sit down and begin writing. I took a seat at my computer with my usual bottle of water and began to type. Starting out a paper is always easy for me. The words seem to flow out effortlessly. Even with that said, I will sit there and critique my work for a good hour before I decide it's OK. Even then I am never 100% happy with my work. What writer is though? The only way to ever become better at something is being able to find your flaws and pick at them little by little. After fixing everything I thought possible, I sat there and closed it up, which took a little more effort. Closing a paper is always the hardest part for me. I always feel like at the end of my papers I'm just repeating myself. So, I always write about three closing paragraphs that always go in different directions and I pick out the one that best fits my overall paper. I have to say after all that work I was relieved to get the paper back and see that I did well on it. Doing that paper was definitely a learning experience as I hope all the other papers we write will be as well.

1 comment:

  1. I agree completely with being very nervous about the diagnostic paper. It intimidating me as well. I also had to read the paper a few times myself. Turns out we sure do have a lot in common. I know that we both had the same english teachers so I know how you feel about the whole thesis thing. Thesis wasn't really something that we touched basis on in high school. I too take the thesis statement as a challenge to work on during this class. Weirdly enough I just realized I always have a bottle of water while writing too. Unlike you starting out a paper is the worst part for me. I never know how to start out my papers. It either doesnt sound good to me, or I just cant think of anything. Closing a paper is hard but not as hard as starting it. :) I'm glad you were happy with your score! I know we were kind of nervous about it. You're very patient to sit down and write more than one closing paragraph. This is something I could not do. I agree the paper was a great learning experience, and I cant wait for more challenges this semester!

    ReplyDelete