Thursday, September 13, 2012

This email that Ms. Jarmer received from “Barack Obama” just seem unrealistic to me. Granted he is up for reelection, and the campaigns are coming up, but why would he take the time to send out this email? He should be busy enough doing is presidential duties. I would sure hope that he would be too busy to be sending these types of emails out to people. Although it is very short and straight to the point, as if someone didn’t have a ton of time on their hands to be doing this. On the other hand the person who wrote this may have just not cared enough to put any real effort into this. Another thing is that they want her to donate money, which seems ridiculous to me. Barack Obama is the president of the United States; he be making enough money for his campaign. I honestly think this is a scam. I just don’t understand why the President would be sending emails to random civilians and asking them for money. The amount of money they are requesting as a donation seems extremely random.  Whoever is asking for donations should be thankful for any amount of money someone is willing to give. It is rude to only accept a certain amount. Maybe someone can’t donate three dollars at this time but they could give less, such as one dollar.   
                This email is rather informal to be actually sent from President Barack Obama. The subject only states “Hey” which is something you would send to someone you are close to. I would think the subject to the email would be something more like “Donations for the 2012 Presidential Campaign”. The writer of this email addresses Ms. Jarmer as “Friend” which doesn’t seem normal, it’s like the writer knows her on a personal level.  It would make more sense if they addressed her by her name, or even “To whom this may concern”. This email is signed as just “Barack”, there is no last name. If Barack Obama was really the person to write this I would think he would want his entire name, and possibly a presidential seal somewhere on this. This email would be more convincing that it was truly sent by Mr. President if it was more elaborate, more formal, and if it seemed as if the writer was really trying to reach out for help. If this is really from President Barack Obama then I would be very surprised. I would just assume he would try to be more formal and personable.

Andra W.
(word count 431)

3 comments:

  1. Andra,
    Although I agree with a lot of the things you are saying, I do have some disagreements too. For instance, there is no proof as to whether or not Barack Obama sent the e-mail out himself or if he had an employee send it out for him. If it was an employee that would explain why Barack did not have an actual signature at the end of the letter.

    He did state in the e-mail that they just wanted $3 as a donation. But that doesn't necassarily mean they are only going to except $3 and nothing less than that. That could be a possibility, but it doesn't state that in the e-mail itself. But points that I do agree with you on is how unprofessional the e-mail was. It was straight and to the point and he talked like they had been friends for years. Your post was very good, there was just a couple points that I disargreed on.

    Makayla

    Word Count: 168

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree completely with your post. The email suggest that the President himself had sent it, which with critical thiniking we could find this all to be untrue. Why wouldn't the post just say it was from someone working on the campaign? They could have always signed the email saying that Obama supported it, instead of signing it for him. I also agree with you when you state that it was very informal, maybe he was just trying to appeal to a bigger audiance though. When this email was composed I feel as if it was to get a point across, and even the "Hey" was there just so people would atleast open the email before sending it to spam. I find the $3 to be odd also, Why wouldn't they just ask people to send whatever they can, instead of saying $3 or more. One thing I would like to add is how the email stated that the donation needed to be sent by midnight, why wouldn't the eamial be sent in advance, atleast a day instead of the day of. Overall, I think your post was very good. I think the way you explained your points was also very clear.

    Karah
    word count(202)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completly agree with your blog post. I agree with the point where you said that Obama wouldnt take the time to actually send out this e-mail. I agree I dont like how they addressed the readers as friend. I really dont like that at all because they don't really know the person they sent that too. I dont like the fact that the subject of the e-mails subject said Hey instead of what the email actually was about. I also dont get why the email was sent the same day the deadline was or why there was even a deadline. $3 is such a wierd number for me too I dont understand why it was picked.
    Zack

    ReplyDelete