Wednesday, September 12, 2012


The e-mail Barack Obama sent to Ms Jarmer is very simple and to the point.  Although the e-mail is directed to Ms Jarmer, the audience is probably everyone registered in the Democratic Party or voted democratic in the last election.  I personally believe that President Obama didn’t send out the e-mail but he “approves this message”, I believe one of his staffers did it for him. I don’t believe this e-mail shows good understanding of the implied rhetorical situation. We all can guess that the money will be put towards his campaign but the e-mail never clearly states what it’s for. I don’t like the fact that the e-mail just asks for money and doesn’t address anything else. Also the writer tries to reach out to the reader by calling them friend which I don’t really like because the guy doesn’t know a single person that he sent this e-mail to. I think addressing it to voter instead of friend would have worked just as good.

The writer tries to act like he is friends and talks to the reader like they are friends when in reality they don’t know the reader at all, by that they are trying to make us feel important to the campaign and country. They don’t use formal vocabulary which makes me wonder if this is even from a legitimate website. I think that most people wouldn’t donate the three dollars because it is over the internet and is hard to do that and plus the way the e-mail was worded you would be afraid of the website being a scam. I believe the writer should have added more to the e-mail to make the reader feel more important and safe in actually donating the money in the first place. I believe President Obama was trying to make up in a deficit he faced in fundraising to his republican counterpart.

Zack Girton

1 comment:

  1. I agree with you completely regarding this email. Everything about this email seems fake and very unstable. I don't think that President Barack Obama wrote this email himself. I think this email was very informal and way too unprofessional. There is no reason why they couldn't refer to the person receiving the email as voter, or maybe even "to whom it may concern". I also think that whoever wrote this email should have been more specific about what the $3 is for, and what it will be helping with. I didn't understand why the deadline for the donations was midnight. Most people probably just read the email and either deleted it or sent it to the spam folder. I agree that nobody probably donated money because it isn't specific enough. It seemed like very short notice. I think you were right on target about this email.

    Andra W.
    (word count 151)

    ReplyDelete