Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Retoric situations

On the very first day of class Ms. Jarmer gave us a writing prompt, “TV’s Negative Influence on Kids Reaffirmed” by Jeffrey M. McCall,”  that she called a diagnostics essay. My first thought was an essay already! I am not a very good writer, so this scared me alot. I read the prompt and kept thinking how am I going to do this. I left it alone for a little bit, then picked it back up and the end of the night read it again. I still couldnt decifer what the thesis was or where to begin. I went to bed hoping it would clear my thoughts some. Again, reading it the next day I started to figure out what I was supposed to do. I started to write a little bit here and a little there, hoping things would come together. After an attempt to write the summary, which seemed like it took a long time. I was struggling to voice my opinion, not because im a shy person but, because im always on the fence. I dont like opinionated writing for that fact alone; I always see it both sides of the arguement. Since the promt talked about the negatitive, I decided to tackle the positive. I waited until late the night before to try and finsh my essay and stuggling to get want I needed across, I fell short of 400 words by 20 words. the next day at DACC I went to the computer lab to type my essay. I reread every word trying to see if I could add anymore to it, unfortunately I couldn't I felt accomplished getting the essay done on time. I turned my essay in thinking, "I hope this is good enough, hopefully I can stay in this class." the whole situation scared me; I wasnt sure what to think. Did I under estimate myself? Did I do horrible? Can I survive this class? These thoughts/questions were clouding my head over the next couple of days, while I franticly move around in my seat waiting for her to hand back the essays. As class began I started to worry if this was the right class for me, would she suggest a lower class, hopefully i did well enough.  

1 comment:

  1. I felt the same way about having an essay on the first day. I thought she was crazy to give us that assignment, and then tell us it decided whether we could stay in that class. This made me really nervous. I questioned some of the same things you did, like if I did well enough or if I maybe just completely bombed the assignment. Unlike you, I only read the article one time. I read it very late the night before the essay was due. I probably should have done something similar to you, and read it a few times, put it down and come back to it. I like to write opinionated papers, even though I have a hard time choosing a side to agree with. The way I see it is that it’s my opinion; therefore no one can tell me I am wrong. When it came to summarizing the article, which was super easy for me. On the other hand I thought of ways to support whether I agreed or disagreed. I chose to agree and write about my experiences of how TV has distracted and had a negative effect on me. Hopefully the next essay we are given to write won’t have so much pressure behind it.

    -Andra W.

    ReplyDelete