Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rhetorical Situations

      When figuring out my rhetorical process or the diagnostic essay, I tried reading the prompt on " TV's Negative Influence on Kids Reaffirmed", J. M. McCall, through several times but I feel that I didn't really ever get a complete understanding on the article.  When writing this essay, I was a researcher trying to find the impact of media on kids.  It affected my choices because I was trying to think what the writer was thinking and what his outcome was.  I think that if I was to write another article on this topic my main audience would most likely be parents of school aged children.   What I know about my audience is that most parents aren't educated on toll media can take on their kids.  As a child growing up, I watched probably way too much television and played video games that may have affected the choices I made.  After refreshing my memory with this article, I now realize how much media is affected our future generations than I previously did when writing the diagnostic paper.  I also think that media could branch out into bigger problem for an individual person.   These studies could enlighten parent's minds on the affects of media on kids.

      This was my first college level essay I had to write and I am not going to lie I was really nervous.   My expectations going in wasn't real high because I didn't know what to expect.  Also I knew going into this class that writing wasn't strong point.  If I could write the diagnostic paper now my decisions definitely would be different.  For instance, I would make sure that I completely understood the reading before constructing an opinion that would allow me to properly write a paper. With this I had a hard time finding the thesis that McCall gave so I had a hard time making my own thesis.   Next, would be to pace myself and not procrastinate on writing the essay because I feel that I rushed myself and didn't do as well on it.  The last thing I would change is to stay on topic and to have thorough details on what I'm talking about because I struggle when it comes to making minimum words or length for a paper.  On the other hand, one thing I wouldn't change is double checking my grammar for errors.  I hope that I can build on these weaknesses when we begin writing the major papers later in the semester.

Dalton Burks
Word Count: 414

2 comments:

  1. Dalton, I completely understand how upon writing your diagnostic essay that you were nervous and you didn't know quite what to expect being this is our first college essay. I myself also had to read the essay several times just to find the clear thesis J.M. McCall was pointing out. I agree with the fact that when we were kids, we did watch a lot of TV and play video games. However, we also played outside throughout the day and our parents were a little more strict, they kept a good eye on what we did at all times. I think that as times change so do people and that's why were having this problem. I completely agree with you on the fact that parents aren't well educated on the media that their children see today. I think that if parents don't like where this situation is going that they need to get more education on this situation and act quickly. TV's negative impact on children is spreading quickly and it is spreading nation wide. Parents shouldn't go around blaming the media for this problem they have caused. Instead, parents should step up and be parents. Soon we won't be able to fix this problem. The quicker we act the better.

    Word Count:241

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Dalton! It was also hard for me to find the thesis for the article. I had to read through it several times just to guess on what it was. If I was to do this assignment over I would also change who my audience is. I agree with you that the media is affecting future generations and causes problems for everyone. You have a good idea that if parents were able to see these studies that it would show parents the affects the media has on children. This was my first college essay too and I was also really nervous also. I do not like writing so it is not one of my strong points either. Next time if you have trouble understanding the article you could always ask one of your friends in the class what their view is. I’m really bad about procrastinating English essays and finding enough words to say to fill up minimum word count. I hope I can improve these things too during the semester.

    -Megan Grimes (Word Count 174)

    ReplyDelete