Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rhetorical Situations

        Writing a paper in a class named Rhetoric and Composition is going to be expected by the majority of students.  However, many are caught off guard when they are told that a paper is going to be due on the second day of class. I was not in class on Monday, August 20th, so I spared having the initial anxiety of hearing the words "400", "paper", and "due on Wednesday."  This is not to say completing the paper was as easy as Albert Einstein's daily hair care routines!

       When I got the assignment, the first thing I looked for was the questions on the back of the paper.  This was to answer my own question of, "What is being asked of me?"  I then proceeded to read through the article written by Jefferey M. McCall, titled  “TV’s Negative Influence on Kids Reaffirmed.” I was able to get a somewhat clear picture of what Mr. McCall was trying to say and, in turn, was able to give very vague answers to some of the questions being asked at the end of the page.  I then skimmed over the article, looking for any key points that McCall was trying to make in his article that I might not have seen while, admittedly, speed reading through.  After that, I had a general idea of the points I wanted to make in the paper of my own, and had decided whether or not I agreed with the main idea of the article.  I feel that I was able to make the points I wanted to make, however if I could, I would have definitely liked to have changed a few things about my experience with writing this paper.

        The first and foremost thing would have been to have written my paper on a computer instead of handwriting it.  When I write papers by hand, I feel that I tend to not proofread very well.  Not only that, but writer's cramp is almost as bad as being poked in the eye and forced to read a Charles Dickens novel!  The second thing would have been to be in class on the first Monday.  That way I would have been able to give myself more time to do the paper, and ultimately produce a much better final product.

        This assignment showed me that in college one has to be  ready for assignments at every turn.  Even on the first day of class, it is not wise to rule out getting an assignment.  As John Wooden once said, “Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.”

Matthew S.
429 words

1 comment:

  1. Hey Mathew,

    I liked your comment about hair care so much that I couldn't pass up commenting here. The way you used humor and silly situations that reflected your personal feelings left me feeling engaged as a reader. I noticed myself smiling and nodding while I read your remark about writer's cramp, though I was a little disappointed in your dismissal of Mr. Dickens. You should maybe try him again in a few years, your outlook may shift somewhat.

    I felt like a solid use of paragraphs gave this a more organized feel, as opposed to having a wall of text to approach. Walls are much less friendly than spaces, and the lack of referance points leaves me feeling lost when I’m dealing with one.

    I agree that we as students have to be ready at all times. I think it’s safe to assume the majority of the class was taken aback by the essay due on Wednesday. I’m doubly impressed that you managed to get it done at all, even if it did not meet your own sense of satisfaction. As well, being in class is very helpful, even though it can be difficult sometimes. You never know what expectations you’re going to miss!

    Enjoyed your writing, looking forward to experiencing more of it.

    Nathan Y.

    ReplyDelete