Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rhetorical Situation


Coming into Rhetoric and Composition class, I was feeling pretty good about being in the class. I felt good about being in the class because I was always a good writer in high school and seemed to get decent grades on my assignments. When we were given the article, “TV’s Negative Influence on Kids Reaffirmed” by Jeffrey M. McCall,” and were told to  read it on the first day of class and write an essay about , I thought to myself, this will be a piece of cake! But when we were then told that our essay will determine whether or not we were fit for this class or not, I was a little intimidated.

I read the article over multiple times and picked out some key statements from McCall to determine if I agreed or disagreed with him. After reading it over, I decided I would agree with him that TV did have a negative influence on children. When beginning my paper, I did not really know where to begin. I knew the key points from the article that I wanted to point out, but I just did not know how to fit it all together. While I sat down and started typing, I was doing multiple things at a time and not concentrating on the assignment like I know I should have. When I got my feedback, I was not completely surprised by the report that I did get. I was not surprised with it because I know I did not put in all of my writing abilities that I know I have and I should have. I also should have focused better and had some more organization with my statements. From the comments on my feedback, I realized that I need to become a more focused writer and better prepare myself for the upcoming assignments. I will better prepare myself for upcoming assignments by reading the article more thoroughly, taking notes while reading it, being in a better environment so I can concentrate better, and possibly even read a little more on my down time to see how other writers write. I will also be visiting the tutors in the Writers Room and hopefully they can help me become a better writer as well.  If I could rewrite this assignment I would. I would have taken it a little more seriously and put in all of my abilities as a writer.

-Brooke Kinney (406)

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with this entire post. I also felt confident going into this class because I felt that I did well with writing in high school.When I got the prompt and was told that it would determine my placement I became nervous and let the assignment stress me out a little, but once I read the artice a few times it started to make more sense to me.

    ReplyDelete