Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Rhetorical Situations


The first thing I did when I got the when I got my diagnostics essay was think to myself, we already have an essay on the first day of class. I then put it away in my folder and kept it there until the night before it was due. I then began by opening up the folder and reading the article, I read the article maybe two times. In our essay we where suppose to pick if we agreed or disagreed with the articles stance on television being negative on children. We could use personal experiences to help our stance on the topic. Even though I procrastinated I felt confident because I was use to writing under pressure for my high school newspaper. I learned that I shouldn't procrastinate again because it could effect my writing in a negative way. I realized I didn't have a very strong thesis of my essay and that I need to be more cautious about that.

I knew when I was writing my essay that Ms. Jarmer would be my audience because she was the one grading the essay. I knew she was going to be reading it and determining weather my writing skills where suitable for rhetoric 101. I had a hard time deciding what my view was on television because yes I'm a kid I love to watch t.v. so I wanted to argue against the authors opinion but I didn't think I could come up with enough arguments to fulfill the 400 word requirement. I honestly think TV is good and bad, it can be a very good learning tool but abusing the use of it can lead to obesity among other things. I was always told to go outside and play during the day and I could watch as much sports as I wanted after dark so I got the best of both worlds growing up.
Zack Girton

1 comment:

  1. We had a couple of the same problems Zack. I did the same exact thing you did when it came to doing the essay the night before. I felt like I could just put it off until the last minute, and then throw something together that would be worthy enough for me to stay in the class. I was always a procrastinator, and it never hurt me in high school. I too believe I need to change my ways to be successful in a college writing course.

    I was not too excited about the whole first day essay either. I have always hated writing, and the fact we got a writing assignment on the first day did not go over too well. I also had problems with the thesis on this diagnostic essay. I should have read the article more closely to realize that McCall's thesis was that parents are the ultimate authority to whether or not their kids are watching television. At first I had trouble with the fact that television is both positive and negative to children. After thinking for a while I came up with more reasons why TV was negative. I could also use the article as a reference for my argument of TV being a negative which helped a little.

    David Sacre
    (215 words)

    ReplyDelete