Wednesday, September 19, 2012



When I came across this piece, I found it to be the perfect one. In the picture I feel like the author used a picture for a couple of reasons. When you flip through a magazine do you like to look at the pictures, or read the paragraphs? Majority of people would say look at the pictures and read the description. I do find that this picture gets the point across, but that doesn't make it true. When I read this I knew exactly what the author was trying to say, I wasn't confused and I didn't find that it could mean anything else. Usually when I look at political cartoons they have somewhat of a hidden message, which makes them hard to understand exactly what is being said. This one means that Obama became President and just wanted to spend all of the money, but now he is relazing that isn't what needs to be done. The picture kind of indicates his emotions also. Yes, a million other authors have wrote this in long paragraphs, maybe even describing what he was spending on and how much, but I feel as if this is short and quick to the point.

When looking at this piece I think it is oppressive in more than one way. The cartoon assumes uniform leadership, saying that Obama is in charge of all spending. There are many other factors that would decide if money was spent or kept. I also feel as if this piece is stereotypical. The author may have not liked Obama, and this is their view on him. When another author could like Obama, and this piece would be completely different. I also think that this ppiece misrepresents. While a President does get to spend, that is not all Obama did for us, although as you can see some would like to think so. I feel that the words added on to this cartoon did help get the point across. I mean, without them it wouldn't really make much since, but same with the cartoon. Without his facial expressions the point would not be mad nearly as clear. So in this case the words and the cartoon both worked in the manner of the author. The piece also does a little bit of refusing to acknowledge differences. While Obama may have spent to much at first, what else did he do differently three years ago then what he is doing now.

 http://qcghost.blogspot.com/2011_04_01_archive.html

Karah
Word count(409)

1 comment:

  1. Karah i like this picture a lot. I think its so funny, and so true. I think the maker of this photo did a very good job at being able to catch eyes. I agree, while looking through a magazine I look at pictures first, and read after only if the picture was interesting and eye catching enough. When I saw this picture I knew exactly what it meant and what it was talking about. You are right when you said when Obama first got into office he just spent money like it was going out of style, now he is now understanding that that was a very bad idea and was unnecessary. I'm sure multiple authors have written about how awful it is and how he spent money on stupid things, but this picture just hits everything on the nail. Obama was dumb at first but has now realized that he made stupid decisions and needs to fix his bad habits. I also agree though that Obama did not just do all bad things for our country like others would like to believe, but he also did some good things. Obama has learned a lot and has become a stronger president.

    ReplyDelete