Wednesday, September 26, 2012



                This song “Pumped up Kicks” by Foster the People is a seriously messed up song. The first couple times I heard it I didn’t really listen to the words, but I didn’t like the song I thought it was annoying. When I finally got to listen to the words I was very surprised. I had no idea that this song was about a school shooting. The more I listen to this song, the more I began to like the song. I only began to like it because the song had a good meaning behind it. To me the mere fact that this song was about a kid about to shoot down a school was insane, let alone that it had an annoyingly catchy beat to go along with it. Mark Foster was a jingle writer, so it made sense that some people thought this song was a fun to sing to. What didn’t make sense are the lyrics that went with it. I understand that they were trying to get a message out about school shootings, but the lyrics kind of contradict the beat of the song. Although I do like the meaning behind this song, I believe this message could have been portrayed in a different way, but they seemed to get their point out there loud and clear.  
                I think Foster the People were trying to reach out to both the popular, stuck up kids who treat everyone else like crap, and those people who are troubled. In a way I think this song warns those people who think they are better than everyone else to rethink things. Maybe they should think about what the other person may be dealing with before they decide to pick on them for no reason. I also think that Foster the People is trying to reach out to those people who are dealing with some pretty deep issues. It shows that they aren’t the only people out there who feel this way, and maybe they should find a better way to let all that anger out. Over all you never know what someone is going through, which gives you no reason to pick on them. In the song is says “I don’t even know what, but he’s coming for you, Yeah he’s coming for you”, he clearly was out to get one main person. Shooting keep happening more and more, this song may have been the only way to get the foot in the door about addressing the issue.


Andra W.
(word count 422)

1 comment:

  1. Andra, you did a very good job with this post. I myself agree with everything you stated about the song. For someone to be able to write something like that they have to have something going on in their own head. I don't know how someone can just come up with a song like that either. I also believe that the song is message to disturbed kids, or kids with not such an easy life that have daily issues. You did a great job expressing different ways that the song could be portrayed.

    ReplyDelete