Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Advertising Rhetoric




I found this ad from Google images. I started dying from laughing so hard when I first laid my eyes on it. Seeing it amongst the other pictures, it really stood out and made a bold impact. It was the first picture that I was drawn too so I knew that it had to be the one I wrote about. I believe that this ad falls into the category of safety from Maslow's Chart. It's a sense of security, trying to find somewhere to go and have somewhere to call home. It’s a want of needed to feel protected and safe where ever you may be. Who ever created this product really was very cleaver in making this. He's stating that not everyone has the same opportunities and chances that other people might have. So he's stating that if we buy this magazine then the money will go towards helping the homeless (said in fine print underneath the caption).

The creature did a fantastic job, I believe, of grabbing our attention and making us aware of the issue that is clearly stated here. What really makes this advertisement effective is the heading that goes along with it. If it wasn't for the caption I don't think that the image would've had a meaning to it really what so ever. I wouldn’t have been effective to me anyway.  To me it would've just been on odd picture. This really does make me want to buy the magazine though, because I would feel good about doing so, knowing that the money was going somewhere other than a local business. It also makes me feel the need to buy one just because of the awareness that it shows and it does a really good job of making you feel bad if you pass it up and not proceed to buy it.

 

Word count- 308

 

2 comments:

  1. Looking at this image I can see the safety level, I can also see the self-actualization level of Maslow's Hierarchy. By saying that "nature doesn't provide everyone with a home" and putting a man into a shell this shows creativity. This image is not one that just anyone could think of, it took some time and lots of creativity. This magazine is trying to use a problem solving strategy in order to help out the homeless. They saw a problem and found a way to help with that problem by selling these magazines. They have accepted the fact that there are homeless people and this is an issue and that they would like to help out. They used a very eye catching image to spark interest, which was great way to do so. It would be hard for someone to look at this image and not take a double take or be curious as to what this image is about.

    Andra W.
    (word count 160)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When I first glanced at this image, my attention was immediately drawn to the advertisement. It's not every day you see someone in a turtle shell. This image is a great example of the whole purpose for the advertisement. I agree with what you said about the advertisement falling under the Safety category, mostly because of homeless people are having difficulties with every day things like money, shelter and heatlh. Another level that this advertisement can fall under, in Maslow's Hierarchy, is the Esteem category. This advertisement is trying to promote people to donate to the homeless, so if someone donate's towards the cause then their respect from others could increasingly boost up. If someone see's another person donating to a good cause, then this could also boost up their confidence and could even inspire them to donate as well, which is the whole purpose of the advertisement. Both of these situations are all positive things for your Esteem.

    Emily Shouse
    (159 words).

    ReplyDelete