Wednesday, October 31, 2012

Stop! in the name of..... bubble wrap?

We all love bubble wrap, right? Whether you accidentally step on it, find some in a box, or get some in the package you just got in the mail, one little pop is all it takes before the whole sheet is destroyed in a frenzy of hysterical laughter and side stitches. So this Goodyear tire ad used bubble wrap as an example of that. Sometimes it isn't easy to stop, whether it's giving in to a bubble wrap themed temptation or on the road when it's raining. This ad addressed three of our needs of safety- of our self, of our morality, and of our property. If we were to get into a wreck because of bad tires, or any other reason for that matter, there is a significant risk of damage to ourselves and to our car, both of which we would like to keep intact I presume, but there is also a risk of seriously injuring or even killing another person. If that were to happen, my self-perceived morality would be shot in the butt and I would feel that pain for the rest of my life. I don't think I'd be able to get over it, and I'm sure that's true to other people as well. And that's what this ad is playing on- our fear that something may happen and we can destroy our lives as well as the life of someone else. We need good tires to be able to stop effectively while driving, right? Because stopping effectively can save lives, right? I'm not disagreeing at all with that, because I believe it is true. That's what this ad is playing off of. It's using humor to address an issue and present to us a scenario that we never want to encounter. If these tires can prevent such a horror from occurring, they should be bought! I think this ad is effective because it brings to light something which me may not realize or something we may not want to accept- the condition our tires are in and how that could affect the lives of others, and it tells us that if we buy these tires we will never have to worry about this horrible thing ever happening to us. I realize how stupid it sounds, but think about it. What happens if the next time you try to stop at a red light in the rain for some little girl on a bike, you can't stop?

(412 words)

No comments:

Post a Comment