Friday, October 26, 2012

"Don't Sell Your Hair to a Wig Shop"



To be honest after viewing all of these commercials, I have realized that I think these commercials are stupid! They are in a way humorous, but it's that stupid funny kind of humor. Yet, I could see how most find them funny and convincing. The DirectTv commercial "Don't Sell Your Hair to a Wig Shop" is trying to attract the comical side of the people watching television. More specifically this commercial is directed towards the people who don't have DirectTv. This is aimed to those people who pay for cable through a different provider and are constantly being hassled, or have difficulty with their cable. By making this commercial "funny" really gets people's attention. It starts out with a depressing mood setting to it.It’s all a downward spiral straight from the get go. Right away this depressive mood is blamed on the fact that your cable provider sucks because your cable provider isn’t DirectTV. Then they seem to think of the most far out scenario that could possibly happen. Such as in this commercial, he went to a seminar, and then felt like he was on top of the world. So in turn, he just decided to go to Las Vegas and gamble all of his money away. Since he had no more money he had to resort to selling his hair to a wig shop.


In a way this commercial is saying that if you have the money to pay for crappy cable services, and then go gamble all your money away, why not just save yourself the disappointment, frustration, struggle, and arguing by simply switching to DirectTv.  This commercial is implying that nothing good ever comes from having any cable provider unless your cable provider is the one and only DirectTv. Granted DirectTv chose to go to the extremes with their commercials. They did this to grab the attention of the audience, which I think they did very well in doing so. Whether the person watching the commercial “Don’t Sell Your Hair to a Wig Shop” thinks it is funny or flat out stupid, they will continue to watch the whole commercial to the end. I know this because that’s exactly what I do when these commercials come on. They do a great job at gaining interest in their company by playing this commercial and others like it. It wouldn’t surprise me if a lot of people checked into switching over to DirectTv.

Andra W.
(word count 411)
 

2 comments:

  1. Andra, I chuckled when you flat out said that the cable company you have sucks so you should switch to DirecTV and how you think they are stupid, but because they are stupid, the commercials are funny; which I also think is true. Anyway, I felt really bad for the guy in the commercial. Just because he had cable, his life went into a hell-hole. First, him being depressed because there nothing is on television, then going to Las Vegas and losing everything resulting in the selling of his hair, so pretty much the guy’s life sucked. I have cable and I haven’t needed to sell my hair yet. I do agree with your point DirecTV tries to make you believe that without its television company, nothing good will come to you. They are implying that without DirecTV, our lives are boring, depressing, and just plain bad. They definitely grab our attention though, like you said before. Once you begin watching the commercial, you will continue watching it until it’s over because it was that funny and attention-grabbing, you just want to finish watching the commercial because everyone wants to know what happened to the dude who was depressed because of the crappy cable company he has now. I know that’s how I felt.

    Priyanka B.
    WC: 214

    ReplyDelete
  2. I thought it was very insightful of you to think that if they had the money to have terrible cable service and then go out and gamble and lose all their; they should just switch over to DIRECTV. I did not originally think that when I watched the video but now that you mentioned it I can see it in all of the commercials. I only pay attention to commercials when they are funny or just plain stupid, so I have to agree with you that DIRECTV is trying to make their videos different so that people will remember them. I have to disagree with you on switching over to DIRECTV just by watching the video; I think the commercials need to have more information for the audience to switch over. Even though the commercials are funny, I do not find them convincing enough. I have to agree with you that when the commercial starts out in a depressive mood and then when certain bad events happen, they blame it all on the cable company. I think that might draw out some people to switch but I do not believe a lot of them will. Overall, I thought you did a good job analyzing the video.
    Megan Grimes (206).

    ReplyDelete