Wednesday, October 17, 2012

(Watson General Tire)
When first looking at the sign that says “NO SMOKING” it gets the point across and is very simple. When you look at how the creator of the sign is trying to get people to not smoke you will realize that it is not very affective. I believe this sign is not very affective because most people do not like someone else telling them what they need to do or in this case what they cannot do. When people disobey this sign it does not only offend the creator it will also offend nonsmokers. The stakeholders of this sign I think would be the company that has it posted on their property. In this case I got the sign from Watson General Tire where I work. And I personally know that the “NO SMOKING” signs do not stop people from smoking where they are not supposed to. They are posted all over the shop and a lot of the workers will still stand next to one of the sign and smoke.

There are many ways that the “NO SMOKING” signs could be improved. The designer of this sign should have been working with a smoker, or more than one smoker to help design a sign that would help keep people from smoking in public places and at least fifteen feet away from doors and entrances. As a smoker I know what would keep me from smoking where I am not supposed to, and all that it would take is a sign that would say either “Please, No Smoking” or “No Smoking Please” if the creators of the signs would work with smokers to find a happy medium like my suggestions then I believe that there would be less problems with people smoking where they are not supposed to be smoking.

1 comment:

  1. If I saw this sign in any type or workplace, I would probably just play it off. This type of sign, or message, is placed in almost everywhere I go. I feel as if this sign puts the stakeholders at very impersonal level, they aren't really directly affected by this sign. The sign just says "no smoking" so it doesn't have a specific audiance. I feel as if the awareness of the sign maker of who they are trying to contact with this sign is slim to none. Why would they think that a simple sign with two words would stop someone that smokes everyday, from smoking in this particular area? I think that this piece in ineffective the way it is used in this situation. I feel if the sign was more personal, gave a reason, or even gave a consequence of the action that it would be more effecient.

    Karah
    word count 151

    ReplyDelete