Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Media Bias




When I first watched this video two bias immediately came to mind, bad news bias and narrative bias. Obviously it is bad news bias because this video is all about how the airport failed to follow the rules while doing their job. At the end of the video is does say that the reason she had this interview done was for a positive purpose, to save others from embarrassment, but to me it is still bad news. I believe that if the airport had followed the rules correctly, no one would ever hear about this. The news cast is only interesting because it is negative. Also, the main person that this news cast is about, has cancer and is soon going to be dying which also sets a negative tone for the bad news bias. I think this kind of goes hand and hand with the other bias I chose.

Which would be narrative bias. The reason I chose this as my second bias about my video is because the whole story is based on the narrator, which is the sick woman. It has a beginning, a middle and a end. The beginning being they women calling ahead, the middle being her actual trip to the airport, and the end being her message. I think that when the video talks about the airports rules and what they are supposed to be, this shows "competing experts or officials". Notice how the news cast goes into detail about what the airport did wrong, but not what the women herself did, besides when she asked to be searched privately. I think this news cast also has a clear cause and effect, which is another part of the narrative bias. When the airport unfairly checks the women would be the cause of this video, and others knowing about this airport in particular not following the rules would be the effect. People may stop using this airport due to her story.

-Karah
wordcount 326

2 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. While reading through your post, I was definitely able to see how you were able to pull both the narrative bias and the bad news bias out of the news segment. I am not so certain that this woman dying sets a negative tone to the story, though. I feel it would be more of a "sad but uplifting" type of story due to the fact that she was brave enough to speak out against the embarrassment she suffered at the hands of airport security. I am also not quite certain that the part in the news report where they discuss the airport security rules and guidelines shows ideas from competing experts. It seems like this was actually quite unbiased as it was merely explaining the rules security members are supposed to follow in order to show why them denying the traveling woman the ability to be searched in private was a bad thing and a mistake. Don't get me wrong, I can definitely see where you came up with your ideas, I just interpreted things a bit differently.

    A potential third bias that this article shows might very well be a temporal bias. A big reasoning of mine behind this would be the fact that the investigation of the incident had not yet occurred, thus setting up a potential second story on this incident when the investigation is finalized and the disciplinary actions that might be taken out on the workers involved are, in fact, carried out. On the other hand, this news story was fresh and new, which gave it priority over other potential stories, possibly. And, since the investigation was not underway, it gave the news outlet a bit more freedom to show the story in any sort of light they wanted to. Another potential bias represented could be the status quo bias, though I will admit that would be somewhat of a long reach. Regardless, I do feel that many of the elements represented in this story do in fact show a temporal bias.

    Matthew S.
    338 Words

    ReplyDelete