Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Analyzing Workplace Rhetoric


This is the sign I see almost everywhere at work. It is a pretty straight forward sign. It is just pushing the importance of washing hands. This is something that is very important where I work because we serve food and make contact with the public. At my job I handle money, and if I have some kind of virus it can be spread really quick through my hands through the money that I handle throughout the course of my shift. There are also touchscreen monitors that are used by everyone at my job, and if people where to not be washing their hands like they should people will be getting each other sick. Also, different things used at my job are handled by everyone. There are certain things like brooms and dishing tongs that almost everyone touches at my job, this is another place people can be spreading germs that will cause people to get sick. The most touched surface at my job has to be the bathroom doors. That is something both the customers and employees touch and by making sure the employees are washing their hands ensures we are doing the best we can to keep the place a clean, safe environment.

As you can see this is a very important procedure that should be taken seriously. The signs are on every paper towel dispenser in the building. The most important place this should be done is the bathroom. Now these are all signs that the company and the health department want employees to see and to follow. It is a pretty straight forward sign and I don’t think there is much that can be done to the sign to make it improved. I guess if participatory design was used on this sign the layout would be different but I do not think it would be a better sign. If we were to use our input on the signs it would probably say the same thing but perhaps in a more laid back matter like, “Wash hands before returning to work” rather than addressing ourselves as employees and putting an emphasis on washing hands with the word must, we already know the rules the sign is just there because it has to be. It is something that hopefully everyone follows and takes serious and it should be something that everyone should be doing, not just the employees. (400 words)

3 comments:

  1. This sign is shown in almost every single type of work place enviroment, especially if your working in a restaraunt or fast food joint. I use to work at a day care center, and these type of signs would always be hung up around the building. The text on this image is very effective and gets it's point across. It also stresses the fact that employees must wash their hands before they return to work, rather than they should. I agreed with what you stated about how it's very important for employee's to do this because of health risks and germs, especially since you're working with the public. I also agreed with what you said about how there really isn't any necessary changes that should be made to the sign. The message is very straight forward and bold. Overall, I think this artifact is a good example of work place rhetoric for employees.

    Emily Shouse
    (153 words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. By the sign saying that every employee must wash their hands before going back to work; it creates a safe and clean environment for the customers. For a fast food place it makes the customers feel at ease that the food they will be getting is not contaminated by germs. I think it is a good sign to have by the bathrooms like you discussed in your blog. It also has good placement by the bathrooms because it reminds the employee to wash their hands. For who created the sign I believe they wanted their employees to be sanitary and clean. I also, believe that whoever made the sign wanted the shadow readers of the sign to feel like they are at a sanitary place where they think being hygienic is important. The sign is an effective piece of rhetoric writing for wanting employees to wash their hands because while it reminds the employee to wash their hands it also shows shadow readers that the place they are at thinks cleanliness is important.
    -Megan Grimes (173)

    ReplyDelete
  3. In most places this sign is probably very effective. I have seen a similar sign at the Rossville Fire Department and there it is just odd to see that we should wash our hands before fighting a fire. In this case however it is a very effective means to show that employees should wash their hands before returning to their job. As a shadow reader I am often disgusted that these signs need to be posted at all. I am well aware that it is mandatory to have them in the bathrooms in certain buildings, but I don’t think that people should have to be reminded of protocol like this. I often think that if they can’t remember something as simple as washing their hands after using the restroom then what else could they have forgotten? I never feel as if I am in a clean environment when I see one of these signs for that reason.

    ReplyDelete