Wednesday, October 24, 2012

DirectTV

            This week we were told to analyze a DirectTV commercial for our blog. After taking the time and watching the six different commercial that they have I decided to do mine on “Don’t wake up in a road side ditch,”. Although all these commercials are very different from each other they all have the same idea. They are telling us that cable is bad and if we don’t switch over to DirectTV soon, then bad things are going to happen to us. Like in my video they stated that when my cable company puts me on hold I’m going to wake up in a road side ditch. Now, these two events obviously have nothing to do with each other what’s so ever but the idea behind them is pretty stupid, funny, and clever. The company is trying to reach out to the audience, that still has cable, trying to get them to switch over. They go about doing this in an over exaggerated way as you can see through the videos, but I think they accomplished what they set out to do.
            Although, I don’t think I would switch over to DirectTV just because of this commercial it does a very good job of bringing the company to my attention. The commercials are addicting to say the least. Once you start watching one of them you can’t stop, because you’re anticipating what will happen at the end. The commercials are really very unpredictable which helps in the aspect of pulling people in. Humor also plays a big role here. It’s ironic really how far the writer was able to take one little situation. Although I don’t believe it persuaded many people to switch over it was still a good commercial. It definitely stands out from the rest by being unique and funny. It’s really hard not to take a liking to them and really admire DirectTV for coming up with something like this.

2 comments:

  1. I agree with you they are rather humorous, but in my opinion it doesn’t really work when it comes to such financial issues. When i first saw this commercial I didn’t even realize it was for direct TV. I just laughed and thought it was cute. I never once thought hmmm well i don’t want to wake up in a road side ditch so I should start thinking about switching to Direct TV. I’m not sure whether you think it does work or it doesn’t work though. It's going to be humorous to the average person but is it funny and eye catching enough to persuade me into buying a package from their network. Also in your first paragraph you describe it as stupid, which I agree it is. So obviously then no one would ever take this serious enough to ever switch to direct TV. In my opinion I think all their commercials are pretty funny, but probably not good enough to make people switch to their network. Especially since my own father just switched from direct TV to cable. Mainly because cable provides all the channels he wants to watch and provides internet service. Over all in my understanding it seems that you also don’t think it works either.
    Jessica E
    Word Count 211

    ReplyDelete
  2. The article you have chosen to analyze is the article I chose as well. I agree with you that all the commercials Direct Tv has made are all very similar. That have different themes, but they all are stating the same thing. The commercials all have a humorous effect to them as well. The company is very well trying to reach out to us as an audience with their clever ideas stating Direct Tv is better than cable. The company definitely exaggerated the commercial, but what company doesn't exaggerate? I agree with you when you said you wouldn't switch over to Direct tv because of their commercials. Just because the commercial is hummorous and ect, to me that doesn't mean its better than cable. They didn't bother to say why direct tv is a better company to go with all they did was made it humours by saying bad things are going to happen to you if you don't switch to direct tv. I enjoyed reading your blog.

    Megan H
    (168)

    ReplyDelete