Wednesday, October 10, 2012

Rhetorical Analysis on Media Bias

I searched for a news item on CBS.com thinking there would be a very interesting video that would catch my eye on there. The video I have chosen talks about how the supreme court is taking on a big case of affirmative action. A girl was not accepted to her dream school because of her race. I'm honestly glad that this is getting so much attention from the public and from our government. I believe this could be called as a bad news bias. This really could affect a lot of people and their education. This whole situation is kind of appalling to even wrap your head around. If I wanted to go to a major university but was unable to because of my race, I would be very offended and very  upset. But I would be even more self motivated to get this out into the public so something could be done about this very ridiculous act upon future students.
The video also I believe has a Status Quo bias. The media sometimes believes whatever the government says, and that they are unable to change anything. This girl was a very brave and daring girl to share her story with the public about how the University would not let her in because of her race. I mean lets get real who would not be upset about this issue? Fisher was a very intelligent girl and compared to  her other friends and classmates that were getting into the school over her, she was tested better and was also in more activities than them. Her skin color was the deciding factor. I'm so glad the government is actually trying to do something about this. Overall this video is getting a lot of publicity and the government seems to be doing something about it. Lets all give it up for this girl for doing something about it!
http://www.cbsnews.com/8301-250_162-57529863/supreme-court-scrutinizes-universitys-use-of-race-in-admissions/?tag=flyOutNavigation;flyoutlead1

No comments:

Post a Comment