Wednesday, October 24, 2012

Rhetoric In Advertising

This weeks blog post we needed to pick a DirecTV advertisement and analyze it. I chose the "Don't Have A Grandson with A Dog Collar" advertisement to discuss. DirecTV is taking these little tiny things about what kind of TV provider you have and turning it into big, bad scenarios that will happen unless you change to DirecTV. They are trying to aim at the public that bad things will happen if you do not switch to their TV provider. The setting of this commercial is either on the internet or on TV. I believe that of course this commercial is pretty funny and it succeeds at making people laugh. Which is great advertising in itself, but I do not think that it is very effective at getting what it wants. I do not think people are going to go out and drop their providers just because they see this video.

I have watched this video a few times now, and I can not lie, I have laughed on every occasion. The commercial is very idiotic, but it does know how to make a innocent person just watching tv, laugh hysterically. When they show the baby with the dog collar on its neck is pretty much when I lose it and start laughing uncontrollably. How do they get a baby with a dog collar and DirecTV in the same sentence or realm, its just not correct in anyway shape or form. The building up to the baby and the grandfather is very original as well. So I do not understand how they believe that this is relevant to changing television providers. I will give DirecTV props for the originality of their commercials. I hope they do realize though that it is very ineffective. DirecTV you are comical but not effective. Better luck next time!


No comments:

Post a Comment