Wednesday, October 17, 2012

 

I work in a preschool, so it isn't uncommon for there to be an occasional outbreak of head lice. This is a sign similar to the ones we hang on the outside of the doors to all the class rooms when an outbreak occurs. We also have signs for other occasions, such as when one of the students misses a day due to the fact that they have strep throat, and others. This image clearly warns anyone coming in the classroom of the lice infestation. There is the big colored warning triangle, and in the middle of it is a rather ugly picture of a louse. On the signs we have at work, the phrase "Lice Attack" runs diagonally across the middle of the picture. Having this saying on our picture helps put emphasis on the bug being a louse. It seems to work great and clearly get our message across at work.

This picture would be more effective if it had words on it saying that the bug is in fact a louse, like the one at my work does. It might also help if this sign was not only put on the outside of the class room doors, but on all the doors that people entered and exited from. Most of the parents look through the window when they are coming into the room to pick up their kids, they don't even pay any attention to what's on the door. However, they do notice when we put signs at face level on the glass to the doors that lead to the parking lot. I am glad we have signs like this one to put up when we have a sickness out break amongst the kids, not only does it make the parents aware of the issue, but it also informs the staff.


Andra W.
(word count 305)

3 comments:

  1. If I was encountered this sign it would immediately catch my attention. If I was about to enter a room that had a sign with what looks like a bug on it, it would catch my eye and make me ask questions. When I first saw the sign and before I read your post I thought it was a sign that warned that a room had an infestation of bugs. But if I was in a preschool setting I would realize that it had to do with head lice. At first I might think that the particular room is dangerous or dirty because of the head lice but it is a common problem that is probably very hard to keep under control with lots of children running around. It is good that those signs are put up and shows that the proper steps are taken to warn parents of threats their children may encounter. (154 words)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was my favorite sign of all, just a giant sign with a bug on it. Honestly, if I would have seen this I would have no idea what it meant. I would obviously think that there was a bug infestation, but I would think that it meant to stay out of the room, since I really don't know what a louse looks like. I agree that this sign would be more effective if there was writing on the sign that described what the bug is. I also agree with the fact that it should be place to where everyone entering the building will know what's going on before walking in. I feel like it's a good thing that you have these signs at your workplace, and that it does have the writing on it, because I would feel like the sign wouldn't help anything if it looked as the image does.
    (152 Words)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Putting this sign at eye level on a glass door definitely would catch attention. And that's a good thing because one, warning people about head lice, strep throat, etc., is important, and two, because even if the reader of the sign would not understand what the picture in the middle of the sign was, in this case a louse, the familiar shape and coloring of the sign will catch people's attention and get the point across that there's something to be wary of in this area.

    As far as a shadow reader goes, there really isn't one. This sign is intended to grab everyone's attention, not just a specific group of people. This sign applies to any and all persons who enter the building.

    As far as effectiveness, this sign is great. It gets it's point across in a simple yet familiar way.

    (143 words)

    ReplyDelete