Wednesday, October 17, 2012

Shut the Door



I find this piece to be a fantastic piece of workplace rhetoric. It was found on a fridge at the RAFPD. I was debating on whether to pick this or the wash hands sign (washing hands before returning to work is pointless since we are fighting fires). It conveys its message rather well, which is to shut the fridge door. Now I know that if this sign were to not be on the door that I would often forget to shut a door after opening it. I often have the same issue with my car door as I leave for school. Perhaps I should make a similar sign and put it there. I also find the duct tape holding the hand drawn sign to be an effective means to convey that this door should be shut. In all seriousness this sign is just someone tired of seeing the door open when it shouldn't be. This sign was obviously put up in haste rather than something planned. That is the result of having a volunteer fire department I guess.
            If the people this effects would have been involved with the creation of this sign it probably never would have happened. There is no reason to leave a door open on a fridge. Most would consider this common sense, so it is easy to understand how someone would get angry to see the result of someone not having common sense. There used to be multiple people without common sense that this sign probably helped in the past, but those people are no longer on the department and are probably sitting at home with their fridge doors open. I have a good idea as to who made the sign, but it is impossible to know for sure seeing as how I joined the department not long ago. Hopefully those who are responsible for putting out fires and extricating people from crashed vehicles have enough sense to shut a fridge door.

-Codie Rome 327 words

2 comments:

  1. I love this sign Codie. I think I am going to buy a plane, just so I can put this sign on the plane's door. After reading this as shadow reader, I find this sign still funny yet meaningless as you found it. I think if I was in your situation, I would probably shut the refrigerator door out of fear that someone would attack me if I didn't. I don't think that this sign helps the environment in a fire station; I think that this sign would distract the firefighters from their jobs more than it would help them. If this shows anything about the firefighters, it's that they don't think very highly of each other because they need to be reminded to shut a refrigerator door (this isn't my personal opinion, it's just what seems to be apparent by the sign). It also shows that the firefighters don't expect there to be any shadow readers; if they did, this sign wouldn't exist out of mere common sense. Overall, I think this sign is ineffective because it fails to address an actual problem and creates a distraction among the firefighters.
    Jon Faw (word count 191)

    ReplyDelete
  2. When there is a fire, no one even cares to read it so it's not a distraction. most of us just laugh at it, just like we do to the wash hands sign.

    ReplyDelete